Ready for what!?
Now is the time for me to get them ready to prepare for winter!
I have been arguing with a few hives that did not want to build up. Today I removed those queens and did newspaper combines with hives that were doing better, but were still not at the top of their game. This will give them the bees and resources to boost their ability to be ready for winter. I moved two colonies that were from late removals into nucs and will overwinter them in those nucs.
I also opened one of the mean hives I was planning on requeening in the spring, and took six stings in about 3 seconds.. So that hive is no more. The queen was pinched and her hive split up and combined with other hives. The other mean hive I had apparently took the hint and were as gentle as kittens when I opened their hive. They have a reprieve, at least until spring.
Next weak I begin treatments for mites. I am down to 42 hives.. I thought I had 45, but apparently I cant count.
I added a new outyard about a week ago, taking six hives to the new location. I like it so much I will probably move a few more out there next spring. We have had enough rain that a flow is still on, and the goldenrod will be blooming shortly. I have high hopes for the fall flow. It has been an excellent summer for the bees!
I will update the blog with pictures in a couple days.